Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Truth and Religion in Politics

This year's election season is one of the most misleading and mean-spirited ones I have ever experienced. I have just started following politics in recent years...and now I wish I had paid more attention much sooner.

I belong to no party...I am actually a TRUE independent. I vote for who I think is appropriate at the time. I believe all the politicians become overwhelmed by their power, and over time, they stop representing their constituents and only represent themselves.

Years ago, while governor of NY, Mario Cuomo, a Catholic, stated that he would never allow the death penalty in NY while he was in office. Fine, if he is against the death penalty, then be against it...but if the NY residents want it....then the law should reflect what the people want...not his personal ethics and religious beliefs.

The same goes for abortion and all the other sticky issues. It is about US...not about YOU!

Another issue I have is when religious leaders run for political office. Electing a religious leader to a government position would be a violation of the separation of church and state, in my mind. Hey, if you have been called by God...isn't that more important than being President, or Mayor, or whatever? If you are a true believer, wouldn't a call from God supercede any human political aspirations?

Also, it is wrong to mislabel things to mis-inform voters.....Sarah Palin claiming that the new Healthcare has "Death Panels".....telling people that taxes are going up...when really they are just going back to what they were....there are tax breaks that are expiring....they have a end date on them just like your milk. Calling the Cap and Trade bill "Cap and Tax!" Does no one care about the environment? Global warming is just a global ruse? I heard a pundit state on the radio the other day that the environmental movement is really just a front for "anti-capitalism'!

So, let's just rape and pilage the planet, and misrepresent reality....I was a skeptic before, but today's political climate has made me unable to trust anyone...which is not what this country should foster.

So everyone, pay attention and choose wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment