Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back to School

It is almost September, and although I consider that the school year begins the Wednesday after Labor Day, I am going to set my aim at September 1, 2011. Somewhere, probably in a movie, I heard someone (male) say that the beginning of school makes them want to give the other person (female) a bouquet of freshly-sharpened pencils! Ah, a man after my own heart! When invited to a Christmas party a year or two ago, for my writing group, I brought the hostess a bunch of small red carnations, inside of a "vase" made of an olive jar, with pencils glued all around the circumference...all lined up like toy soldiers...with a red ribbon encircling them. I did the gluing while sitting in the car....it came out rather well, I may say so myself. I asked her to e-mail me a photo of it...but alas, she never did. I will have to make another! The past two weeks, I have been taking a class at UCB in NYC....in honor of my devotion to school, I indulged myself and bought a purse, that looks as close to a schoolgirl's bookbag as someone my age can get away with...kind of a messenger-style bag...but it does have flowers! Also, last week I bought myself a fountain pen...it is inexpensive, but will serve its purpose...all the classic diarists wrote with fountain pens....(okay, some used quills, but I am not THAT ambitious!) I may even start journaling in longhand.....my script writing has really gone down the tubes in recent years...all I do is print! Well, my September promise to myself is to write something each day...like it's my job....either in here, or my journal....or, hopefully, BOTH! So, this has been today's contribution. Time to go polish an apple!

No comments:

Post a Comment